Camaraderie, peer support, fellowship. These are just a few of the words that describe why sober living is so important in early recovery. Whether you reside in sober living housing while enrolled in an outpatient treatment program or choose sober living as an important aftercare component following completion of an inpatient rehab program, sober living apartments Los Angeles can offer companionship in a drug and alcohol-free living space.
Not only does residing in sober living with others help combat feelings of isolation and loneliness in early recovery, but the daily interaction between the housemates can provide opportunities to practice new interpersonal skills, coping skills, and communication skills learned in rehab. Honing these skills while living in a sober living apartment can help ease the transition back to regular life and ultimately enhance family relationships.
6 Important Features to Seek in Sober Apartments Los Angeles
When seeking a sober living apartment there are certain features that indicate it is a high quality and well-managed sober home. Below are 6 key aspects that your sober living home should emphasize:
- A firm commitment to enforcing substance-free sober apartments. This entails a clearly stated zero tolerance policy, an in house manager, consistent and random drug and alcohol testing, prohibition of any possession or dealing of drugs or alcohol, and actionable steps to use when someone breaks this important house rule.
- Structure and organization. A sober living apartment only functions effectively if there is adherence to house rules and policies. The rules help maintain order and safety, as well as ensure that the housemates pull their weight in housekeeping and other shared responsibilities.
- Participation in 12-step or recovery group meetings. Recovery from a drug or alcohol addiction requires proactive participation each and every day. Active participation in a local recovery support group should be a mandatory requirement for housemates.
- Expect to work. Sober living is a transitional phase of recovery where the newly sober individual is getting back on their feet. Sober living apartments should have a policy that requires the housemates to get a job and become functioning members of society versus allowing them to play video games or watch television all day.
- Weekly house meetings. Mandatory house meetings benefit the sober home by providing a forum where issues can be discussed in a safe environment. The meetings foster a sense of community while matters that impact all housemates are parsed out collaboratively.
- Enforce house rules. None of the safeguards addressed in the list of house rules amount to anything if the rules are not enforced. Strong house management helps cultivate a sense of accountability to the group based on each housemate’s adherence to the sober living rules.
The Benefits of Sober Living
There is a real risk to someone’s recovery if they attempt to transition too soon from rehab back to regular life. With a multitude of potential triggers awaiting them, the newly clean and sober individual can benefit greatly from spending a few months honing their recovery tools in sober living. There are many ways that sober living can help strengthen early recovery, including:
- Providing a safe and supportive home environment that is substance free. Just the presence, sight, or smell of drugs or alcohol can be a trigger to relapse. Removing that possibility can provide a sense of calm and confidence within their living space.
- Acquiring new daily routine. Establishing a brand new daily routine is easier achieved in a sober living apartment than in one’s home residence. A sober living home provides a clean slate versus the etched memories and reflexive habits that could reassert themselves at home.
- Learning to enjoy sobriety. During the transition time spent in sober living the individual will begin to redefine their daily activities around a sober lifestyle and new sober friends. This step is important, as it provides encouragement that life in recovery can indeed be enjoyable and fulfilling.
- Being part of a supportive community. Sometimes the family home environment is not supportive of sobriety, which can undermine emerging recovery when it is most vulnerable. Living in sober apartments Los Angeles provides built in support, from the house manager, fellow housemates, and 12-step recovery meetings.
- Establish new healthy habits. During active addiction one’s physical health is also adversely affected. Restoring health and well-being through new healthy habits, such as nutritious meals and daily exercise, can enhance mood and confidence.
Beit Hillel Sobriety Offers Quality Sober Apartments Los Angeles
Beit Hillel Sobriety provides safe and supportive sober living housing in Los Angeles, California. With an emphasis on providing an additional layer of support through community, accountability, responsibility, and improving self-esteem, Beit Hillel can offer clients the life tools needed to succeed in recovery. For more information about our sober living housing, please contact Beit Hillel today at (866) 818-0321.