Benefits of Living in Sober Housing after Rehab
Shoring up Sobriety in a Sober Living Environment
Imagine, if you will, your doctor telling you point blank that you are morbidly obese and unless you make drastic changes in your diet and lifestyle you will likely die of a massive heart attack. What are the chances that you would be able to stick to a strict new diet if your cupboards and fridge were stocked with high fat munchies, and your family members grazed non-stop on Fritos, hot dogs, and buckets of ice cream while plopped on the couch watching Netflix? Odds are you will be reaching for a bowl and the ice cream scooper in no time flat.
So now imagine someone newly sober forging out a new pathway that excludes a substance that his brain craves incessantly, but has the potential to kill them. What are the chances this individual, fresh on his path to recovery from alcohol or drug addiction, could remain sober if he is planted right back in the midst of people using drugs or alcohol? Again, not a snowball’s chance… For the newly sober just out of rehab to be able to carve out a new life that does not involve the use of drugs or alcohol, sober living gives them the best chance at success.
Why Sober Living is Beneficial
Are there any benefits of living in sober housing after rehab? The benefits of starting off the recovery journey, post discharge from rehab, in sober housing are many. People are inherently social beings with an intrinsic need to interact. It would be highly unnatural, in the hopes of remaining sober, to hide away alone at home avoiding all social contact in order to prevent a relapse. Chances are the need for human contact would draw one right back to the crowd of users that could quickly undo all the hard work accomplished in treatment.
Sober Living provides a stepping-stone that gives the newly sober an environment of fellowship and support in a safe, drug and alcohol-free space. There are several other benefits of living in sober housing post-rehab in addition to the important social network it provides.
Benefits of Living in Sober Housing after Rehab include:
- Accountability. In general, social shaming has a powerful influence on shaping behavior. People have a deep desire to be accepted and to please the people in their lives, but addiction causes them to lose all sense of culpability. Sober housing reintroduces the concept of being accountable for one’s actions, as well as the sense of not wanting to disappoint others in the support system.
- Order and discipline. Addiction wreaks havoc with all aspects of life, and the resulting chaos has dire implications for adult responsibilities such as keeping one’s job, academic, and family obligations. Sober living homes impose house rules, schedules and curfews, reintroducing the expectations that will benefit house members going forward. Most sober houses have a zero tolerance policy for drug or alcohol possession or use, a deterrent that helps members avoid relapse.
- Ongoing meetings. Participation in a 12-step or non 12-step fellowship program has been shown to solidify sobriety by providing a systematic process that helps cement and augment the treatment program. Most sober living environments require house members to attend these meetings weekly, at minimum. Outpatient counseling and/or house meetings also help to reinforce newfound sobriety.
- Shared responsibility. By developing a sense of community and sharing household duties, the individual begins to feel a sense of belonging. An awareness develops of how following through on the various chores and responsibilities of the house impacts the quality of life for the whole.
- Relapse avoidance. It is well known that, while it may be difficult to get sober, the real challenge lies in staying sober. Returning to normal life in early recovery is fraught with traps and triggers that can undermine sobriety in a moment. Relapse is likely if there isn’t great care in planning and executing a post-rehab plan. Spending time in a sober living environment during this transition to a life free of substance use and abuse will allow for new healthy habits to become ingrained, as well as the effects of working a program to be realized.
Beit Hillel Sobriety Sober Housing
Living in Sober Housing after rehab has been shown to be an inherent component of a solid success in recovery. Beit Hillel Sobriety is a premier provider of quality sober housing in Los Angeles, California, dedicated to assisting the newly sober in their quest for life-long recovery from drug and/or alcohol addiction. Contact us today for more information at (866) 818-0321.